Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chewy Chow Chows


Why should Alphabaked! recipes be reserved to human beings? Because there is no valid reason, it probably explains my desire to send a few bags to one of my favorite furry-fellows. I'll consider dogs first, but that's mainly because I don't know if cats are used to receive chewy treats. I sent this package to Douggy, one of my friend's dog, who also used to be our maskot for our last year of studies.


Because it was my first time, I made something simple : Chewy Chow Chows are actually cheese cookies that are perfect to keep your dog busy for a while. They're not as attractive as you might expect, because the recipe I followed led me to a rather sticky dough, but they went smoothly! Beware though, these cookies should be distributed sparingly, like any other treat.


Ingredients for about 20 cookies :
1 beef stock dissolved in 10cl of boiling water
100g whole-meal flour
10 ounces of vegetable oil
1 small egg, beaten
1 large handful of grated cheese

Preheat your oven to 150°C.
First melt stock in water. In a bowl, mix the flour and form a well in the center. Break the egg and add oil and stir with fork until it forms a ball. Gradually pour broth continuing to mix, and when all is well incorporated, add a handful of cheese.

The dough should not stick to your fingers so you can easily form sticks.
Line up the forms on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. Take them out when they are golden. Don't give them when they are still hot of course! You can store them in an airtight box for a good week. Anyway, you know that it will go quickly!

Picture from Pixar's Toy Story, featuring Slinky Dog, a.k.a. Zigzag in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment