Saturday, March 13, 2010

Scone-ology



message from Nov. 18th, 2009 :

For all the mornings you forgot to buy bread, when the cereal box was stored although it was empty, and when we especially did not want to go out to buy anything until you had left the warmth of our pajamas, the kitchen offers Scone-ology. I know it's not revolutionary, and it must have been inspired by Regina Spektor's song : Loveology.


To me, this is the ideal solution. In 5 minutes it's baked, and in fifteen more, it's cooked. For the consumption time, it depends on you. In general, scones, is feasible as long as you have the basic ingredients for cooking. But as I'm sometimes out-of-tune early in the morning, I need to take time to rummage through the closet and end up customizing the recipe a bit.
As I noted, last night I noticed there was nothing for breakfast. So I made them yesterday. This solution works well, because they do not have time to dry. Without further ado, I invite you to join the sconology or the lazy pleasure to cook with eyes wide shut.


Basic ingredients for 8 scones :
200g flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
50g softened butter
2 tablespoon sugar
10cl semi-skimmed milk

to glaze the scones :
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon sugar

Today, I had no raisins as I usually do, but I had coconut powder. To "season" your scones, the way is clear :
50g raisins, dried apricots, dried figs etc.
50g grated coconut, by replacing part of the flour, and suddenly it makes me want to try with ground almonds or hazelnuts. Fortunately we have a breakfast every day!

If you choose raisins, start by soaking them 15 mn in a bowl of hot water to rehydrate them.

Preheat oven to 210 ° C.

Pour together flour and baking powder in a bowl.
Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour. Work the ingredients with your fingertips to mix until you get a sandy mixture. I love plunging my hands into the dough, it's the only time the butter doesn't displease me.

Add the sugar and stir quickly. Then pour the milk in one go (and optional ingredient (s)) and mix with a fork. I know it can seem strange, you think that it will become lumpy, but no, it will not happen.

Shape into small balls with your hands and space them on a baking sheet, previously covered with greaseproof paper. My closet is sorely lacking round cutters to get the best form and get the scone to rise high. If you have one, then spread out the dough on a floured board and cut the scones with it before putting them on the plate. If you're like me, give some cuts on the side of the scones, it will help them climb.

Make the glazing mix by warming up the milk and disolving sugar in it, then brush the scones with a kitchen brush. Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, turn on your coffee maker, fill the kettle, prepare your tea pot, and open a nice jar of jam. This is good morning. Enjoy.

Detail from Edgar Degas' painting : La Coiffeuse, 1885.

No comments:

Post a Comment