Sunday, March 14, 2010

A white Flamingo's tale


message from Dec. 6th, 2009 :
Sorry to disappoint the readers (if there are, of course), because to tell the truth, I have no inspiration for such a story. It's just this little creature who was in the middle of my cake platter. Cheesecake has always fascinated me. I don't know if the idea of making sweet food with salty ingredients, or having to reduce use some of my favorite cookies to dust that attracted me so much, but I searched a long time before I found a recipe that suited me. I have a kind of love / hate relationship with this "cake", because to be honest, I don't like all things creamy (a tear shed for whipped cream though, because I would really like to like it). In addition, there are so many textures and shapes ...

The one I propose is light in texture as in calories, for those who feel guilty at the idea letting all go with pastries. But I like to add a more greedy touch. This is the advantage of "neutral" content, because you can season it as you want.



ingredients for a beautiful cheesecake:
500g light cottage cheese (in France, we call it faisselle, or cheese strainer)
4 Petit-Suisse (240g cream cheese yogurt)
1 pinch salt
100g Spéculos, digestives or other shortbread cookies
50g butter
20g hazelnuts powder
2 eggs
50g brown sugar
50g white sugar (I found a sugar flavored with hazelnut)


Preheat oven to 150 ° C.
Start by taking cottage cheese out of the box and let all liquid drip.

Put the biscuits in a freezer bag and close it. It is very important to close or you risk losing half of it!
Crush the biscuits with a rolling-pin or what you have on your hands and that seems appropriate. But don't hit them, unless you want the bag to explode. I speak with experience here ...

In a saucepan, cut the butter into small cubes and let them melt over very low heat. Remove from heat and pour in the crushed cookies. Add the hazelnut powder and mix with a spoon. Here, I chose to add some chocolate. I haven't made chips out of it, I grated a bar. In quantity, I would say about 40g. Protect your cake mould with greaseproof paper. Pour the mixture and tamp it well with the back of the spoon.

Break the eggs, separating whites from yolks. Whisk yolks with sugar, then add the Petit-Suisse, a pinch of salt, and cottage cheese. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Stir to the previous mixture gradually and slowly. If you whisk, you kill bubbles, you know!

If you want another flavor to your cheesecake it's the right time. I like to cut candied orange slices on the cookie dough. If you want a sauce, add first a thin layer of cheese mixture so that it's taken into the body.

Pour the cheese content on the cookie dough and bake the cake.
Cooking takes 1 hour. Leave it another hour in the oven slightly open when finished cooking. Do not be frightened by seeing your beautiful cake crush. It's normal, even if it's less beautiful.

If you have courage and patience, let the cheesecake completely cool down before eating. I think it's better to eat this kind of cakes cold.


Detail from Adrienne Segur's illustration of The Wild Swans, in The Fairy Tale book.

No comments:

Post a Comment